Blessing Brown Swiss
The Blessing Brown Swiss herd got its start in 1936 when Fred Blessing bought a Swiss heifer for his son, Bob. The original home of the Blessing herd lies about two miles away from the current headquarters and houses heifers and dry cows. In 1961 Blessings bought another farm. They continued to milk 40 Swiss at home and 50 Holsteins at the new place. The Holsteins were replaced by Swiss in 1965. In 1975 the decision was made to go to a strictly family work force and the herds were combined into one unit and housed at the current location. Through the years there have been various building and remodeling projects to update and improve the facilities. The Brown Swiss herd continued to grow and today includes about 140 milk cows and 160 heifers and bulls.
The current operation includes three Blessing families. They are Helen and the late Bob, and sons, Steve (and his wife Rosy) and Stan (and his wife, Brenda) and their children. Steve is in charge of the Brown Swiss herd while Stan focuses on the crops. A few years ago another farm was purchased and they currently farm about 650 acres which provide the hay, corn and soybeans (converted into soybean meal) which are used to feed the herd.
The Brown Swiss are exhibited at the Indiana State Fair and World Dairy Expo. National show ring success includes Grand Champion and Premier Exhibitor and Breeder at Madison in 1983, Premier Exhibitor in Madison in 1982, two National Total Performance Winners, numerous class winners and many All-American honorees.